While we are now half way through Spring, it’s not too late to get spring into action for a spot of Spring cleaning! The warmer weather will have you throwing your windows open and inviting friends for weekend barbeques, so here’s some tips for make the whole house sparkle. Or, if you plan to sell in Spring, these are great ways to prepare your home to give the best impression.
• Start each room with a plan of attack. While there’s no hard and fast rules to this, the simplest way is to begin at the door then move around the room in a clockwise direction, cleaning the wall and anything that is against it (e.g. occasional table) or on it (e.g. picture frame). Once this is completed start of any furniture that is in the middle of the room.
• We are all make use of our vacuum cleaner on our floors, but you can also use this appliance to clean out an oven, a fridge, the toaster or cutlery drawer – in fact, any place crumbs, scraps or dust might gather.
• For finer cleaning, a hair dryer can be used to get rid of dust in the corners (especially cupboards) or even from a computer keyboard.
• Regardless of the cleaning product you are spraying, always spray the cloth – not the surface. This is a great timesaver as you won’t have to wipe of excess spray.
• Most of us will have a lint remover for our clothes – these are also very effective for taking the dust off lampshades, curtains or other cloth items.
• Finally, a great way of adding a pleasant scent to a room is by placing a drop or two of an essential oil to the light globe in a lamp. The scent spreads as the light globe warms up and is much more efficient and pleasant than some of the ready-made sprays and products.