On a list of the top 10 stressful events in life, moving house comes in at Number 7, sandwiched between financial problems and chronic illness. Yet, all of us will do this at least once in our lives. The good news is; however that there are lots of ways to lessen the stress of a move and make everything easier and more smooth. The list below, while not comprehensive, is a great start.
1. Start by making a list. It simply can’t be said enough – organization will make the move much easier. Most moves provide 1 – 2 months planning time, start early and create a ‘countdown’ chart with week by week activity list – then keep to it!
2. Make sure you have plenty of everything you need for the move. The number one item will be boxes – have a variety of sizes. These can be bought but there are some places where they can sourced for free (Bunnings, for one). While on the subject of boxes, wardrobe boxes are perfect for large bulky items like blankets and doonas, as well as any clothes that you don’t want to fold.
3. Make use of your suitcases, carry bags and sports bags to pack items like towels, sheets or paper goods. They are also good to hold some of the things you might need immediately – your suitcase will be easier to locate than one of a myriad of boxes even if it is carefully marked.
4. There’s sure to be items you can pack ahead of time. Winter clothes if it is summer for example as you know you won’t need them. ‘Extras’ of any items can also be packed beforehand.
5. Be sure that valuables are safeguarded so they do not get misplaced or lost in the move. It is wise to check any insurance policy to make sure you are covered during a move. Important papers, such as insurance policies or birth certificates should be kept with you.
6. Whether you are using a moving company or friends, make sure you look after the movers. This might be drinks, snacks or even just a smile.